By September 1st, 2017 buildings over 50,000 square feet in the City and County of Denver must begin benchmarking and reporting their energy performance to the City. Buildings over 25,000 square feet must begin reporting by June 1st, 2018.
The energy used in buildings results in 57 percent of Denver’s greenhouse gas emissions. Improving building energy efficiency is a key component of the City's efforts to do our part on climate change. Benchmarking the energy performance of a buildings is the first step to understanding and reducing energy consumption because you can’t manage what you don’t measure. The City will publish building energy performance data each year to enable the market to better value energy efficiency, similar to MPG ratings for cars or nutrition labels on food. Other cities with benchmarking and transparency requirements have seen 2-3 percent energy savings each year by covered buildings.
Complying with the new ordinance has two basic steps:
- Benchmark your building with the free to ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager. You’ll need basic property use information such as size of the building, number of units, and number of bedrooms. You’ll need to enter your Denver Building ID into your Portfolio Manager account (you can find the ID at denvergov.org/energizedenver). Have Xcel Energy upload aggregated whole building monthly electricity and natural gas data to your Portfolio Manager account (follow the steps at www.xcelenergy.com/energybenchmarking)
- Send your report to the City. (Details on submitting your report can be found at www.denvergov.org/energizedenver.)
Instructions on all aspects of how to comply with the Denver benchmarking ordinance can be found on the Denver Benchmarking Website.
Attend a training or in-person help session (jam) to learn more:
- July 12th training: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/energize-denver-energy-benchmarking-ordinance-training-tickets-35265135971
- July 20th jam: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/energize-denver-energy-star-benchmaking-jam-drop-in-support-tickets-35265182109
- July 27th training: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/energize-denver-energy-benchmarking-ordinance-training-tickets-34662172491
- August 9th training: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/energize-denver-energy-benchmarking-ordinance-training-tickets-35265238277
- August 16th jam: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/energize-denver-energy-star-benchmaking-jam-drop-in-support-tickets-34662393151